28 March 2010

Vampire Weekend.

I went to see Vampire Weekend, and loved it.  The guys didn't act pretentious.  They didn't seem to want to rub anything in our faces.  They talked about the beautiful architecture in Salt Lake City as they introduced their song about architecture (Mansard Roof), and they mentioned two of the universities close by, BYU and Utah, as they dedicated the next song (Campus) to all the students in the audience.  You know, reaching out to the locals, knowing something about us.  And if the lead singer strapped on a Rickenbacker guitar just to play it for about 8 bars on my least favorite of their songs (Giving up the Gun), well, can you blame him?  Rickenbackers are gorgeous.

I went to see Vampire Weekend with the guy who introduced me to Vampire Weekend, my cousin's husband Robbie, and two of his brothers.  The highlight of the show came when he was telling us he went on a walk with his oldest daughter.  When he asked her if she wanted him to carry her, she said, "No, I'm strong.  I'm fast.  I'm big.  I'm everything you are, except you're a dad, and I'm a child.  Did you know child comes from children?  When there's more than one you say children but when there's only one you child.  Or their name.  My name is Lydia."  And Robbie said, "You are the coolest three-year-old in the world."

1 comment:

Elena said...

I love Vampire Weekend! And campus is my favorite song! They are coming here to Aus and i think i might go see them!