14 May 2011

Foothills.

I love the hills, and I am drawn to them like a salmon to wherever it is they're all going in such a hurry.  I have this consistent urge -- I think it's inborn -- to climb on them.  The hills, not the salmon.  I don't think what I have is the same as the mountaineer's itch: I'm not that attracted to mountains.  I mean I love them; I stand in awe of them as godlike matriarchal creatures of unthinkable wisdom and beauty.  But that very air of incomprehensible ampleness, of perfection by sheer volume, gives them a certain distance.  Especially the tops of them, which seem very far away, and tricky, and rocky.  Maybe my relative reluctance to mountaineer is a product of my short attention span, I'm willing to concede that likelihood.  And I've bagged a few peaks in my day; not many, but I like a long hike to the top of a reasonably tall mountain once in a while.  I wouldn't call it an insatiable drive of mine.  Duncan's dad is a mountain climber.  I'm not, at least not yet.

Nor am I much of a rock climber.  Wussy forearms.

For me it's hills; on them I clamber.  They're just so accessible, or at least they seem to be.  They usually take longer to scale than I expect, which I think is a part of their charm.  Maybe the biggest hill I've climbed is Big Baldy, that mass jutting out to the southwest of Timpanogos near Lindon, looking like the knee the mountain would would rest its banjo on if it played one.  That hike took 4 hours or more, longer than Squaw Peak.  But I still classify it as a hill because it gets so dwarfed by the massive lady behind it.  Illusion or no, there was a long time when anytime I'd look up at it, I'd think, "It's just right there.  I could just walk up it."  Which I eventually did last summer with some friends and it was a very rewarding experience.  I recommend it.  Near the top you get to this big green meadow where we played a kind of rock baseball Nate made up.  

That's the thing though, or at least part of the thing: they're just right there.  They're so inviting, nonthreatening, accepting.  Overlooked, even, living in the shadow of these ponderous majesties.  Every time I drive up the canyon, at the point where the buildings finally get out of the way and I can look at Timpanogos from head to toe -- they have lately been green like Wales -- I want to get up onto those low rolling foothills and just gambol around like a big gazelle on the moon or something, bounding from one to the next.  Maybe I was Welsh in a former life.  Consonants consonant consonant consonant consonant.

The backyard of my Grandma's cabin in the south fork of Provo Canyon is a steep hillside, and I recently realized that I've never climbed it.  One weekend last month I was staying up there with Nate and Clark and Duncan, and on Saturday morning I got up early to climb.  I mean it's a steep hill, and thickly wooded, matted, I should say, with small trees, so it was hard to tell how near I was to the top.  I had to bushwhack since there was no path, and there were still big patches of deep snow.  It only took me about an hour to get to where I was headed, but it gave me a disproportionate sense of accomplishment.  And it is gorgeous to see South Fork from the top.  At the top of the ridge I found some deer antlers from a five-point buck.  I saw that what had seemed like the top of the hill wasn't really the top of the hill at all, but just a kind of level ridge that sloped up to the north.  This is one of the hazards and joys of hiking in the foothills: summits are relative, fleeting, and ever-receding.  The perspective from each one is different.  I decided to leave the next hill for another day and circled around to come down the dry gully southward (which, weeks later, gushed with spring runoff so that we had to scramble to deepen the streambed and throw up a laughably inadequate levee of cinderblocks to try and keep the ad hoc stream within its banks).  Incidentally at that very moment back at the cabin Clark and Duncan were trying to coax a live raven out of the wood-burning stove.  There are a lot of stories involving the cabin.

Last night I went out to my car to get something, but a warm midnight wind was blowing and instead I walked down the street to where a path between the houses leads up to a swath of bare hillside -- this is one of the many perks of living in the Tree Streets.  It's remarkable how much more you can see with just a five-minute walk upward.  I looked out at the whole valley, with the lake and the mountain luminescing in the moon's supernatural light.  Halfway up the hill was a big square rock, taller than me, looking for all the world like an altar.  I stood on it and glorified God.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I've tried to imagine myself living on the east coast, and it just doesn't happen.

I need my mountains. And my Wayne.

asandholtz said...

Wayne, I love to read your writing.

Jerie said...

me too. are all mountains matriarchal to you? some are to me. others seem more sentinel/prophet/sage-like to me. nice.