14 July 2011

Eleanor Rigby.

Have you heard Aretha's cover of Eleanor Rigby?  Hear it.  This is what was playing in my head as I ran around this morning.

I ran!  I got up before the sun and pounded the city's dark streets sans headphones.  I talked to a friend yesterday who's been living in Seattle and doing that, and I think that's what finally helped me get up the gumption to wake up.  That, and what my old mission president told me about how Russell M. Nelson, after having become the world's greatest heart surgeon at age 22 or something like that, taught himself Spanish, Portuguese, and the piano just by waking up early.  "Turn off the TV," he also said.

I don't want to cry over spilt milk, but I should have been doing this sooner.  It's awesome.  One of the main things I've done in this town has been to just walk around and explore, and when you're running you cover a lot more ground.  Of course it's not the same before dawn as during the day, or at night -- there's something particular to be gotten out of aimless wandering at each time of day, I think.  But I discovered a couple museums I might have taken a long time to find otherwise.  And anyway, I feel great; I've always loved the seeming paradox that running in the morning makes me less tired throughout the day.  I mean we're talking 20 minutes, half-hour tops.  I brought along these running shoes and I'm paying slightly exorbitant rent to live in a safe part of town; I might as well get my money's worth.  Also, look, I'm up this early.  Yesterday I got out of bed at about this time.  Today I have a run, a shower, and blog post under my belt.  Ha!  Nothing to dissipate stagnation like a brisk morning jog.  It wasn't even cold out.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I don't think Aretha is capable of doing a cover of someone else's song that isn't equal, if not superior, to the original. Also see "You Send Me" and "Love the One You're With."

@emllewellyn said...

The other day Ames was playing "Just Dance 2" with the nephews and they were dancing to Toxic, which always will remind me of you and driving around in the Green Pearl. Ahhhh the good ol' days.

COME OVER. Just whenever you get home from another continent, just come on over! Bring a salad-- or don't! The Bells need some Wayne in a big way.

Meg said...

It truly is the most amazing feeling. This summer I've tried to sleep outside every night--and for whatever reason (biological or otherwise) it's cured my insomnia, and I get up with the sun. It's the most amazing feeling! Also, running is addictive. Glad you are doing so well!